1H and Q2 2020 Solar Funding and M&A Report
$299.00 – $499.00
1H 2020 Total Corporate Funding
Totals $4.5 Billion
– See the Details!
Click here to download the Executive Summary.
Total corporate funding (including venture capital funding, public market, and debt financing) in 1H of 2020 came to $4.5 billion compared to $6 billion in 1H 2019, a 25% drop year-over-year (YoY).
“Financial activity in the first half of the year reflects the realities on the ground. Even though solar stocks have performed well, and corporate funding in Q2 looked slightly better because of several securitization deals, global economies and solar activity are still far from being back to where they should be. Project acquisition activity, typically a sign of health in the sector, declined significantly in Q2,” said Raj Prabhu, CEO of Mercom Capital Group. “In all, it could have been worse considering the severity of the crisis.”
In 1H 2020, global VC funding (venture capital, private equity, and corporate venture capital) in the solar sector was 74% lower with $210 million compared to $799 million raised in the first half of 2019.
Announced debt financing activity in the first half of 2020 ($3.6 billion in 15 deals) was 16% lower compared to the first half of 2019 when $4.2 billion was raised in 27 deals. There were four solar securitization deals totaling $1.06 billion in 1H 2020. Cumulatively, $6.3 billion has been raised through securitization deals since 2013.
Solar project acquisition activity was up in 1H 2020 with 14.7 GW compared to 11.6 GW acquired in the same period last year. Only about 3 GW of solar projects were acquired in Q2 2020 compared to 5.7 GW in Q2 2019. Oil and gas majors were the major acquirers of solar assets in 1H 2020 and accounted for about 6.5 GW (45%) of acquisitions followed by investment firms with 6.1 GW (41%).
There were 203 companies and investors covered in this 79 pages report, which contains 74 charts, graphs, and tables.
Mercom Capital Group’s Quarterly Solar Funding and M&A Reports are comprehensive high-quality reports delivering superior insight, market trends and analysis. These reports help bring clarity to professionals in the current financial landscape of the solar industry.
Custom Excel Sheets with all transactions for the quarter, and
Custom Research with data from the past 10 years!
Contact us to learn more and get pricing!
Quarterly market and deal activity displayed in easy-to-digest charts, graphs and tables, alongside data-driven analysis.
The report covers all types of deals and financing activity, including:
- Venture capital funding deals, including top investors, QoQ and YoY trends, and a breakdown of charts and graphs by technology, sector, stage and country;
- Large-scale project funding deals, including top investors, QoQ and YoY trends and breakdown charts and graphs by technology and country;
- Public market financing, including equity financing, private placements and rights issues;
- Debt and other funding deals, as well as QoQ and YoY trends;
- Third-party residential/commercial project funds;
- Large-scale project acquisitions and active project acquirers;
- Large-scale project announcements in various levels of development throughout the world;
- Mergers and acquisitions (M&A), including QoQ and YoY trends, a breakdown of charts and graphs by technology and sector, as well as project M&A activity;
- New cleantech and solar funds;
- New large-scale project announcements;
- Large-scale project costs per MW.
This report also contains comprehensive lists of all announced Q2:
- VC funding, debt financing, public equity financing, and project funding deals;
- VC and project funding investors;
- M&A transactions;
- Project acquisitions by amounts and megawatts;
- M&A, and project M&A transactions;
- Large-scale project announcements.
Mercom’s comprehensive report covers deals of all sizes across the globe. Have questions about the report? Email us here.